Wednesday 13 November 2013


St. Benedicts and the Mother's Union
St. Benedicts
The Church of England has an organization called, “The Mother’s Union” or MU.  Its purpose is to promote and support the family and family life.  The MU groups in the Lincoln cathedral region own a church, St Benedicts in the heart of Lincoln, which has been turned into a tea and coffee room. 
Interior-Chapel on right lunch counter on left
This is one way the group raises money while offering the community a place to gather.  Each local group has to take its turn manning St. Benedicts.  It was our groups turn this last week and I volunteered to go. 
Helen, Sue, and Shirley helping a customer
 
St Benedicts was built in 1535 and is still used for mass on occasions.  Its bell was restored in 1925. At noon we ring it and say the noon day prayer with whoever is enjoying their lunch with us.  I got to ring the bell. It was three sets of three rings.  I naturally asked why not 12 for noon, and was told,” It’s for the father, son and holy spirit, not the time.”
 
Bell pull

I worried that I wouldn’t understand what the customers were asking for, but the choices were few enough that when I did have trouble with accents I gathered what they wanted. Other than telling them the cost was dollars, to which they laughed, I did fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment